Chances are, your home has mouthwash, laundry detergent, drain cleaner, and similar products on hand. If you have young children, these everyday items can pose a serious—perhaps even life-threatening—hazard. The third week in March is National Poison Prevention Week. During this time, take a few minutes to walk through your home to make sure it’s safe for your youngsters. If your children do ingest a potentially toxic product, rush them to the emergency care center of the nearest hospital.
Store Hazardous Items Safely
A wide variety of common household objects could send your child to the hospital. You should always store antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, pesticides, mouse poison, and similar items out of reach of children. Likewise, household cleaners, artificial nail removers, furniture polish, paint and paint thinner, detergents, and tobacco products should never be accessible to children.
Lock Up Medications
If you store medications in your bathroom medicine cabinet, your children may accidentally ingest them. It’s best to lock up all medications, including over-the-counter drugs such as cough syrup. Additionally, never tell your kids that a medication tastes like candy in an effort to convince them to take the medicine. This may encourage children to try to take the medication on their own.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide poisoning claims far too many lives each year. You can only detect this odorless, colorless gas with a carbon monoxide detector. It’s easy to install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home to protect your family. As with your smoke alarms, remember to check the batteries on your carbon monoxide detectors each month.
At Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center, you’ll find exceptional emergency care and compassionate healthcare providers. Our community hospital also offers stroke care and heart health services to residents of Las Vegas. If you wish to request a physician referral, call a registered nurse at our community hospital at (702) 233-5300.