Getting regular physical activity is one of the most important ways that you can improve your health, boost your mood, and avoid disease. When exercising, knowing your target heart rate can help you to use your time wisely and be efficient during your workout.By watching this video, you can learn more about achieving and calculating your target heart rate during exercise.
Do you still have questions about your target heart rate during a workout? Before starting any new exercise regimen, consider contacting your primary care physician to learn what target heart rate you should be working towards. To meet with a caring and experienced medical specialist in the Las Vegas area, contact Sunrise Hospital’s Consult-A-Nurse referral line by calling (702) 233-5300. Our physicians are dedicated to the continued health of the residents in the surrounding communities.
When determining a person’s blood pressure, the reading is taken in a ratio of systolic over diastolic pressures. The systolic (top) number represents the pressure of the blood on the walls of the arteries when the heart beats, and is the higher number in a healthy person. The diastolic (bottom) number represents the pressure in the arteries between heartbeats. In a healthy person, blood pressure is generally 120/80 or lower. A person is deemed hypertensive, or has an abnormally high blood pressure, when they are continuously measured at 140/90 or higher.
Although anyone is susceptible to high blood pressure, there are factors that can put you at a higher risk . You may have high blood pressure if you:
- Are a male or post-menopausal female
- Are of middle or advanced age
- Are overweight or obese
- Are a heavy drinker or cigarette smoker
- Take oral contraceptive (birth control) pills
- Participate in a sedentary lifestyle
- Have a family history of high blood pressure
- Eat a high-fat and high-sodium diet
- Are under continuous stress
- Have diabetes or kidney disease
To find out whether or not you have high blood pressure, consult with your physician and let him or her know about any factors that you possess that can increase your risk.
Once you have been diagnosed with this condition, you and your doctor can formulate a treatment plan to help you regain control of your health. Simple lifestyle modifications and prescription medications can both be effective in improving your blood pressure and cardiovascular health.
Blood pressure is at times referred to as a “silent killer,” as the condition rarely causes any symptoms and can result in severe health complications if left untreated. If you are in need of an experienced cardiovascular specialist in the Las Vegas area, look no further than Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center . Call our Consult-A-Nurse physician referral line today at (702) 233-5300 to find a doctor near you.
Stroke is a serious medical event that can result in long-term disability and death. In fact, these “brain attacks” are the number one cause of adult disability in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. To avoid the long-term complications associated with a stroke, it is vital to know the symptoms and act fast.
The sooner that you can get professional stroke care , the better the outcome may be.
The most common symptoms of a stroke are seen in both men and women and include:
- Severe headache with no known cause
- Weakness or paralysis on one side of the face or body
- Problems speaking or understanding language
- Blurry vision or a loss of vision in one or both eyes
- Sudden difficulties walking or loss of coordination
In addition to the symptoms mentioned above, there are some warning signs of a stroke that appear to be unique in women. Many women will report the following symptoms when experiencing a stroke:
- Sudden pain in the face and lips
- Hiccups and shortness of breath
- Sudden nausea
- Chest pain and palpitations
- Sudden onset of general weakness
In many cases, effective stroke treatment is only possible when the cause of the event is evaluated and identified within a very short time after the stroke. If you recognize any of the above symptoms in yourself or a loved one, be sure to call 911 and seek professional medical help immediately. The emergency care center at Sunrise Hospital is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide you and your loved ones with expert stroke care when you need it most.
At Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center , we also offer our patients a free Text ER service to help them gain access to the emergency room wait times in their area—simply text ‘ER’ to 23000 and reply with your zip code. You will then receive many of your surrounding hospital’s wait times, allowing you to choose the center that will provide you with the most prompt service. You can learn more about Sunrise Hospital and the services we offer to the men, women, and children of Las Vegas by calling (702) 233-5300.
Sunrise Hospital is proud to announce the availability of a new minimally invasive technology for treating chronic sinus inflammation, Balloon Sinuplasty ™. This breakthrough procedure relieves the pain and pressure associated with chronic sinusitis.
Join us for a free community education program on “Sinus Issues and Solutions”, featuring Dr. Terrance Kwiatkowski, Otolaryngologist at Sunrise Hospital.
Thursday, May 31 at 6 p.m.
Sunrise Hospital Auditorium
3186 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
Through this free session, you can learn more about:
- What is sinusitis?
- What are the benefits of the new Balloon Sinuplasty surgery?
- What is involved in the surgery and recovery process?
The program is free and open to the public, but registration is required. To register, call (702) 233-5454.
Join the Teachers Health Trust for a free Diabetes Day hosted at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center. Learn more about how diabetes affects your heart, vision, circulation and health. Educational booths will feature experts on diabetes, stroke, hearts, osteoporosis, breast cancer and wound care. Plus screenings for blood pressure, bone density, blood glucose, vision and more.
Saturday, May 19, 2012
9 a.m. to Noon
Sunrise Hospital Auditorium
3186 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89109
The Sunrise Health System of Hospitals Awarded Re-certification as Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission
This distinction recognizes hospitals for offering the best possible treatment for stroke patients…
Mammograms are important diagnostic screens that can help women to detect cancers of the breast at their earliest, most treatable stages. Over the years, this type of screening has saved the lives of many women diagnosed with breast cancer. In this video is a brief explanation of the importance of mammograms from a breast cancer survivor—without this advanced technology, she may not be alive today. Watch the video to learn more.
At Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center , we are offering $75 mammograms during the month of May. If you are a woman over the age of 40 and are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity, schedule your screening today by calling our Consult-A-Nurse health line at (702) 233-5300 or register online .
In celebration of Mother’s Day, we’ve put together a list of quotes honoring mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society:
- Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired; it need not be deserved. –Erich Fromm, psychologist
- Woman knows what man has long forgotten, that the ultimate economic and spiritual unit of any civilization is still the family. –Clare Boothe Luce
- The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. –Honore de Balzac
- A mighty power and stronger Man from his throne has hurled, for the hand that rocks the cradle Is the hand that rules the world. –William Ross Wallace
- A mother is person who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take. –Elizabeth Marie
- Children and mothers never truly part. They’re bound in the beating of each other’s heart. –Elizabeth Marie
Sunrise Hospital Offers Annual Skin Cancer Screenings in May …
“iNotify” lets residents quickly alert hospital staff of their arrival from their Smartphone …
- Exploring new treatment options for seizures
- Sunrise Health Hospitals First in Nevada To Use Pioneering Mobile Technology for Cardiac Care
- How do you perform a breast self-exam?
- Thyroid Awareness Public Service Announcement featuring Supermodel Kim Alexis
- 7th Annual Hogs & Heifers Saloon “Miracle on 3rd Street” Motorcycle Run & Toy Giveaway benefiting the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation!